For those of you looking of for a few meatless options on Friday for Lent, here are a few tips and a recipe to try.
Try to AVOID:
1) Seems when choosing a meatless meal, the first attraction is to replace the meat with a ‘fake’ meat, like a vegan burgers, mock chicken nuggets, Tofurky or anything that resembles meat.
2) The other attraction is to eat pasta, grain based foods or cheese covered/complemented foods.
These foods can be considered as refined vegetarian junk food because although they are technically plants, they don’t include foods in their whole form, the nutritionally dense greens and the wide variety of plants. They actually include anti-nutrients instead and we don’t’ want that…if you’re going to do it, make it count.
So, the trick and goal is to find nutrient dense meatless options that are tasty, made with ease and you’re not afraid to experiment with. Here are some tips to help out.
Try to INCLUDE:
1) Whole Vegetables: consider vegetables of any kind. Also, consider dark leafy greens and add in a wide variety of deep colorful vegetables. You’ll add nutrient density and the added fiber aids the digestive system like a broom and excellent for overall health.
2) Choose fish instead of fake meat for added protein You can also add in plant sources high in protein, like quinoa or legumes (beans).
3) Use broth, spices and fresh herbs to add delicious flavor
HERE'S A RECIPE TO TRY THIS FRIDAY (Chicken is optional - or you can substitute with your favorite fish of choice)
VEGE PRIMAVERA – Serves 4
2 cups cooked spaghetti squash, seasoned with salt/pepper to taste
1 large whole chicken breast, cut into thin strips (optional)
Broccoli florets, chopped carrot, and/or other favorite veggie, lightly steamed
Avocado seasoned with garlic salt
3‐4 scallions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil (more if needed)
¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
½ cup chicken broth
(CUSTOMIZE YOUR FLAVOR IDEAS: (1) You can add organic tomatoes and Italian herbs & spices for an Italian flavor as an option (2) You can add Mexican herbs & spices for an Latin flare)
Slice spaghetti squash in half, take seeds out, brush with olive oil, salt & pepper and bake in oven @ 375 degrees for 30 min. Take pulp out with a fork and set aside. Heat olive oil in pan, and stir fry chicken strips (optional), garlic, scallions, and basil for about 5 minutes; add remaining vegetables, herbs & spices of choice and chicken broth and continue to cook until veggies are soft and glisten. Add more chicken broth as needed. Remove from heat and spoon over cooked spaghetti squash and garnish with avocado if desired.
MEATLESS FRIDAY...MAKE IT COUNT!